A Lord of the Rings RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tavern

5 posters

Page 1 of 39 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Go down

Tavern Empty Tavern

Post by Faramir Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:44 am

Since what remains of the old guard has now fully assembled, let's open a tavern and have the wench bring us some beer. Or wine, of course. Or Khandrim grass liquor (which I totally did not add to their lore because of my own love for Polish bison grass vodka).

No plotting and planning here, I'll keep an eye out for that. We know how this typically ends in not finding anything when we need it. Otherwise all talk is good.
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Race : Half-Human
Nationality : Gondorian

Back to top Go down

Tavern Empty Re: Tavern

Post by Oddberry Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 am

Or mead. You can't forget the mead. Oddberry has a sweet tooth. Although she wouldn't say no to some Khandrim grass liquor.

Any recommendations on the Polish Bison Grass vodka? I've never had it and I'm intrigued.

Ah yes. We are all amazing at sticking to the no plotting and planning rules in chat. Maybe the traumatic memories of searching through 150 pages of chat will stop us. Now we just need Wyn and Gem to get stuck in!

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Race : Hobbit
Nationality : Test

https://thewhitetree.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Very true. Never forget the mead! We actually got a two liter bottle and matching cups from my best friend for Christmas last year.

I think I've heard it's illegal in the US, because of the grass. So they replaced it with something else and that just doesn't taste as good. No idea if it's the same where you are. In general it's more smooth than "regular" vodka and more flavorful. It also goes really well with apple juice, but I hate apple juice, so... none of that for me.

Btw. I talked to Firefly and she asked if we have a chat. She said she might stop by and say hallo. We don't have to worry about the old forum, she won't delete it.
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:41 pm

My dad decided to make some mead last year, and it actually went surprisingly well. Even if he did accidentally tip a bottle down the sink. I now need to convince him to make more because... well there isn't much left!

Upon investigation, the UK has nothing against bison grass so bison grass vodka here we come! I am looking forward to this.

That's comforting, and it will be nice for her to say hi

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Boromir Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:53 am

Thought I would pop my head in here! Sorry I have been away, Australia's been ransacked by a lot of bushfires in the past few weeks, and I had one of them close to where I live! I had to keep most of my time making sure that I was safe from that inferno.

Worst thing is that several kilometers of bushland was burned, and several houses badly damaged, with one having been completely lost, and that that bushfire "labelled the worst ever in Queensland's History" was deliberately lit in a total fire ban (meaning NO lighting fires whatsoever) by a 13 year old boy and 14 year old girl. They're in a lot of trouble.

Now that bushfire season has calmed down - for now - it's time to come back here for me!
Boromir
Boromir
Captain General of Gondor

Race : Gondorion
Nationality : Gondor

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Gem!! Glad you're safe and that the threat of burning is calming down.

Omg... you would be absolutely mortified if you were those kids' parents. I think I'd flee the country in shame.

I'm glad you're back! I might steal your idea of using a lotro screenshot as an avatar until I actually finish my proper one. I've got to have a hobbit who looks somewhat like oddberry...

On a completely different note, I went axe-throwing last night. It was so much fun. I've now just got to go back another 9 times and I get a free throwing axe XD I am even more convinced the axe is the perfect weapon for my hobbit.

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:24 pm

How is mead even made? I have no idea. Honey has to be involved somehow, but that's about all I know. I love to drink it, but no idea how to make it.

Let me know if you like it!

And good to have you back, Gem! I honestly wouldn't mind all the deadly animals in your country, but the fires would scare me like nothing else. Aside of the damage, did people get hurt or worse this time?

I don't think the parents are to blame. That's the age where children are the most stupid, no matter how competent their parents are. Hopefully they have learned their lesson at least.

Mead brewing, axe throwing, horse whisperer, poison plants expert... we have to make sure you never get your hands on a golden ring, do we, horsey?
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Mead was actually suuuper easy to make. Honey, water, brewers yeast, whack it in demijohn and leave it for six weeks (there were other details but I forget them. Then dad topped it up with vodka for some good old ageing. Obviously, if you want other flavourings you add them in at the start as well. Ours was a bit sharp to begin with but mellowed really nicely. Definitely want to try again, adding the honey slowly so the sugar overload doesn't kill the yeast (i think) which should in theory bring it up from 10% (with vodka) to about 15% without it. It will be a fun experiment.

I agree, the parents probably aren't to blame but I'd be so embarrassed if that was my kid. Of all the things to be an idiot about...

*nervous laughter* well about that... it's kinda a funny story really...

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:25 pm

I once had mead with whiskey. That went well together, too. The vodka just reminded me of that... Hm... maybe we should try making our own. Somehow I always imagined it way too difficult.

I'd be furious, no doubt there, but at the same time... kids are stupid. Makes me wonder how this will be handled legally.

Horsey... have you heard... you know... voices... lately? Maybe... a voice... whispering?
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 pm

ooooh I can imagine... what sort of whiskey? Yeah, brewing is at base fairly simple. It's making really nice alcohol that's the problem XD as a tip, for our first batch we just bought some super cheap supermarket runny honey, rather than going for expensive stuff straight off and it worked.

Yes it will be interesting to see.

uhhhh *more nervous laughter* voices? naaaah no voices here. Just my conscience. Who is very self-serving...

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Boromir Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:45 am

Mortified indeed. I imagine those two parents will never forget the horror their children caused! There's been a lot of outrage at those children over here, once it was made publicly known that two teenagers had been formally charged for that fire!

I'm very glad that for now the threat of bushfire has lessened, but if we do not get a lot of rain soon, this spring and summer are going to be a horrible fire season.

Legally? Probably just a slap on the wrist and "dont do it again" always seems the case with every underage arson charge there has been since I was born, and there have been quite a few. Most people are calling for harsher punishment, especially after this one!

We're bloody lucky that aside from those houses I mentioned, there were no human casualties at all from the fires. The only fatality that happened while it was all chaos was an elderly lady who's car was in a hit and run at some point Sad  I did not know them.

Lol go ahead Horsey! That face from Lotro is actualy my Rohirrim warrior Ulthomborn but I dyed his red hair brown to match Boromir!
Boromir
Boromir

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:15 pm

I honestly have no whiskey knoweldge at all. That's Boyfriend's speciality. So, all I can tell you is that it wasn't too sharp or too smoky and blended in really well with the mead. You could tell that there was something more to it, but it didn't hit you over the head.

We have a really nice elderly beekeeper here. He might be up to some experimenting. But testing it out with cheaper stuff seems reasoable. It would be a shame to waste his honey. Nothing compares to it. I could eat it with a spoon and nothing else any day.

Does your... ring friend... have mysteriously glowing inscriptions in a dark, menacing language?

Gem, I hope their names weren't made public? Considering the outrage it might even become dangerous for them... I don't know, they are children, after all, stupid children, and their parents can't really be blamed for what they did. At least some extended community service should be demanded, though.

I'm glad to hear that there were no human casualties, fire and smoke are such horrible ways to die or even get hurt by. Still, poor elderly lady.
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Boromir Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:35 am

No names are ever given when these things come about, well, at least not in the media at least. Aside from the 'don't do it again' thing, I doubt they'll see any other punishment, since that always seems to be the end result.
Boromir
Boromir

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 pm

@rain ahhhh. I'll just lob whatever dad has in the cellar in and see how that goes.

You have access to a beekeeper? You have no excuses now. Go build your mead empire Razz

I wouldn't call it dark and menacing as such... that would require being able to, you know, read it.

On a different note it's good those kids aren't going to be named and shamed but also, a slap on the wrist is hardly enough. Like is that really going to teach them anything?

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 pm

The advantages of living in the countryside. Very Happy I remember confusing Scribe with that, because I also live in a "city" (it's just really small und surrounded by nature, I don't think it works like that in the US where she was). All in all, the perfect place to get up to shenanigans like this. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Have you tried throwing it into a vulcano? Razz

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad that their names aren't made public, but they should get some sort of punishment or, you know, a chance to try make up for what they did, if they feel guilty now.

Btw. what are your thoughts on the Lotr amazon series? I can't decide if I'm looking forward to it or if I'm more afraid that they will ruin it...
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:54 pm

XD you must live in the perfect balance then. I'm the other way into middle of nowhere where people don't exist!

Yes please update on your mead adventures!

I'm ever hopeful and am willing it to be amazing. The Tolkien estate are keeping a tight grip on what's going on I've heard so that can't be bad. And amazon are throwing enough money at it! I just want it now, the wait is killing me. Thankfully soon both His Dark Materials and the witcher will soon be here to distract me!

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:59 pm

I do. It's perfect here and I tend to always come back somehow. As awesome as "no people" sounds, I think in the end I would miss having many others around.

You'll know it worked when I start showing up here drunk XD

I hope they do. I've heard the idea of making Gandalf female being thrown around... please don't. Just. Don't.

The Witcher is something I really, really want, too. But I don't like the actors they picked for Gerald and Triss. I know that they are basing it more on the books, but I'm so used to the game, their Gerald is too pretty and boyish for me (he looks like zombie-Legolas!) and Triss without red hair? Also, some of the costumes we've seen so far looked really... not convincing.
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Yeah it does lose its appeal after a while!

I hadn't heard a female gandalf rumour. But there was something flying round about the blue wizards and someone dubbed pallando as the female gandalf so maybe that's where that sprung from?

Zombie legolas I love it. I mean Henry Cavill in 20-30 years would make a sick game Geralt. If they roughed him up a bit. He can do rugged really well and I don't think they've quite taken advantage enough here. But then he's a great actor and one hell of a nice piece of Man-meat (have you seen that ass... Phew) so I'm not going to complain ;P Im still in two minds about triss I will admit but I'm sitting in camp no judgment. Although her hair looks a total nightmare to die. And it does have this fiery tint in the sun. I havent really seen her in much.
The costumes are getting much better though they were so ropey at the start XD we've seen an unusually large amount of rough costume tests publicised. I'm just letting my hype blind Me!

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Boromir Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:11 am

I dont know if i will ever see it myself, this new lotr series. I don't have any sort of cable tv, so no amazon prime or whatever it is for me. We just don't have the time to watch a lot of it over here.
I'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD if it ever does.
Boromir
Boromir

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:48 am

I heard it in combination with the idea that Tolkien just doesn't have enough strong female characters. Which, at first glance, is true, but at second I really think isn't. There are amazing female characters in the Lotr and beyond. Just put the spotlight on them, why turn a male character female? Isn't that sending the message that females can only be strong if they are actually males? But I'm rambling... We had a female Pallando, didn't we?

I don't know. He just isn't my type, even if they try to make him look dirtier. He just has this pretty-boy-face. We have a word for that. It translates to "licked", meaning he is extremely clean and without edges, as if his grandmother licked him clean. Triss was my girl in the games, so I'm extremely biased. I really like the actress they cast for Yennefer, though, even though I didn't like her in the game at all. She looks gorgeous, her eyes are so beautiful. (Not that the actress for Triss isn't, but she just doesn't look like Triss to me). Ciri almost seems a little too old, though. But that, again, is being used to the game speaking.
Anyway... I'm hoping to be very positively surprised. Maybe the series will be really, really good!

It's so big, I can't imagine it not coming out on DVD. Unless it fails utterly, of course.
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:09 am

I think if one were to say there weren't enough female characters then that could be true, but I think perhaps less so in the silmarillion than LOTR itself. But all of them are strong, in different ways. I think it's madness to gender switch such a well-known character as Gandalf, especially when Ian McKellen is champing at the bit to play him again. But there's basically nothing known about alatar and pallando. I've seen pallando turned into a girl so much now I forget that she was probably originally male (although I don't think that was ever explicitly stated).

Licked is an amazing term for it. I will admit he's sometimes a little too polished (looking at you superman) and that wasn't great but... We'll see I suppose! I'm sure once we've got a couple episodes in it will start to feel more normal! Oh yeah Yen's actress is perfect no doubt about that, and I'm hoping she will bring a less bitchy side to the character! I was actually amazed at how young Ciri was in the games so I think it might be alright. Yup. I want it to blow my mind XD

I'm sure it will get to DVD. Or find someone's prime to steal and watch on a PC! XD

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 pm

That's what I'm thinking. It feels like such a cheap shot, too. Like: look, we have strong women now! Oh, wait... didn't they do that with Thor? Even though there are strong females in Norse mythology, warriors, too.
Of course creating a new character, like Oddberry, or filling one with life and personality that didn't have that before or just put the spotlight on a character you don't know people will like yet is a risk and more work, but at least it will fit and not confuse everyone. Also, maybe that's just me, it almost feels like stealing. I don't like it. Maybe for an experiment in fanfiction, sure, everything goes in fanfiction, but that's something else.

Maybe it's his role as superman that made me look at him like that. I never liked that particular super hero and haven't even seen the movie, but I've seen him as superman, maybe that still sticks? That's not fair, I know! I'm sorry! XD
I've heard someone say that during the scene we see in the trailer, where Ciri meets the dryads, she is about nine in the books. So, it might not just be the games. But in the end their personality is most important and the story they tell. Yes! Let it blow our minds, I'm ready! I need something new after Vikings and that GoT Season that never happened...

It will find a way to you Smile
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Yeah. Unless it's for comedy (and it has to be done to perfection here), it's not great. I'm not sure about Thor, but they were pretty heavy-handed with the throwing the strong women they had out there but tbh I wasn't quite invested enough to care XD

The good thing is I think they have created two new characters, or at least the rumours say they have. We just need to hope they aren't totally insane and decide to change things arbitrarily.

Possibly, like I admit his looks really do drag him that way but superman made him unattractively so, almost statuesque. Or the posters did at least, I didn't actually watch the film. I can't remember which film he was the opposite in though at the moment XD We'll know soon anyway. I think there's definitely some time-crunching going on in the tv series for Ciri's timeline at least, but for a good book portion she was certainly in her mid-late teens. Or at least, that's the impression I got.

On the subject of mind-blowing, have you watched the dark crystal tv series yet?

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Faramir Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Odd, really. If I'm honest, I don't even want "strong women", it's such a cliché. I want well developed, interesting characters, no matter if male or female. Sometimes they are badass, sometimes they are not, sometimes I love them, sometimes I hate them. Just wanting them to "be strong" almost always turns them into Mary Sues...

Do you know what time period they want to adapt for the series? All I know is "before Lotr". That they would have to invent characters isn't a good sign, considering that there are so many around... and I did think that this elf woman in the Hobbit felt like she escaped some badly written fanfiction. But others liked her, so...

His Gerald will just be so good, we'll never think of superman again! Hopefully. XD
I haven't read all the books yet. They're just not that good, and the author seems rather... unpleasant. The way he comes off and how he treated CDPR just rubs me the wrong way. You can't tell people that what they are doing is worthless anyway and once they are successful demand extra money. That's not how it works.

No. Should I? Is it good? What is it about? We are looking for a new series to watch on our DVD nights.
Faramir
Faramir
Assistant Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddberry Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:19 pm

I get hoe you feel. I love a good strong woman but it's so easy to fall into Mary sue. Which is basically what happened to tauriel which is sad because iirc evangeline lily said no love triangles then after a bunch of shots had been taken the studio said we smell love triangle potential do it and I don't think anyone involved was best pleased. Tauriel wouldn't have been the strongest character even without that but she'd probably have stayed in the realm of ok.

I think amazon series is set in the second age and I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed or are heavily limited on what they can include or allude to from the silmarillion. Which is probably why they're having to create their own characters and weave them around what they aren't allowed to touch. But they can use everything from the history of middle earth series iirc but don't quote me on that.

I feel you re the witcher books. I Googled a summary because while the short stories were fun, the actual books are damn hard work. I think I got to the end of the first or second and was like I love this but also I hate it and haven't really had the time to go any further. I do agree he seems a bit of a cocky moneygrabbing git.

It's amazing. A prequel to a 1980s (I think) cult film Jim hendersons dark crystal (which was terrifying as a child). While the original film is less awesome now than it was then (as you can imagine) the TV series is amazing, it's set in a really cool fantasy world and the story is great, theres some really chilling moments. Then to cap it all its all this amazing puppetry. It's insane. I could rave about it all day XD

Oddberry
Chaos Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 39 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum: